TGIF – Thank Goodness It’s Friday (weekly newsletter)
Friday March 2nd 2012
Well, two Fridays have passed but I would like to make this a tradition for BP:UL (Big Picture: UnReal! Learning.
TGIF is a tradition in most BP schools and was introduced by one of it’s founders, Denis Littky, who wanted a way to share all the good things that were happening with students, parents and staff.
This video has Dennis Littky talking about how Big Picture started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbpqVPtUIFQ
These are MY thoughts and as time goes on I would like the students to develop a TGIF newsletter each week which could include my thoughts.
Our first two weeks have been great, interesting, frustrating, disappointing at times, but oh so encouraging with so many opportunities to come.
We are all looking forward to moving into the BP:UL House in Maude St and looks like we will do this on Friday 9th March.
Highlights for the past 2 weeks
- Students have completed all sorts or challenges such as scavenger – learning to solve problems and work together
- Trivia Competitions between advisories
- Trip to KidsTown and Pool Party at Allison Darlow’s House (thanks Leeanne)
- Swim and games at the Goulburn River
- Students learning about Advisory and how important it is for there to be trust and respect
- Planning for camp at Gilwell Park in Gembrook
- Students helping UCCE staff – setting up BP:UL house, Britnee C with Ronni and Bonnie with Bron
- Brad and Aaron S helping JR with the new fence, tables, sandpit and much more
- Save a Mate program – run by Purple
- Happy Hour (last hour on Fridays) – learning how to congratulate and appreciate each other
- Happy Hour speaker – Alex Bruinier from The Bridge
- A number of students have already secured Shadow Days (1 day work experience)
- Sean T has been offered an apprenticeship in building with his mentor
- Many students are show initiative and confidence visiting businesses and asking for Shadow Days
A big thank you to all students and parents for their trust in us as a team and we look forward to sharing more great stories and achievements.
(And our team, Jen, JR Ange and Monty)