A number of students in my class are well on their way to finding an internship and working with a mentor. The first step has been to work through an Informational Interview activity Sheet.
This has been the process:
- Research businesses that line up with student interest/passion
- Write down local business details they would like to contact
- Make a list of questions to find out information about the business that will help you to decide whether to go back for a Shadow Day
- Phone or visit business and ask whether they have work experience students
- If they do make a time for an interview to ask your questions
- Write a report on your visit
- Keep visiting businesses until you find one to have a Shadow Day
- If you have a great Shadow Day consider making it an internship (LTI – Learning Through Internship)
So far Miss MW has nearly achieved an interview with a travel agency and Miss BC has had an interview with a panel beating business and keen to make it a Shadow Day.